I’m the Victim of a “Hit and Run” – What Should I Do?

Being in a car accident is overwhelming at the best of times, but what if the guy who crashed into you takes off and you have no idea who he is. What are you supposed to do then?

Our Insurance (Vehicle) Act provides compensation for individuals injured in a hit and run situation, but there are specific things you must do in order to protect your opportunity to make that claim.

Most important of all, you must make all “reasonable efforts” to find the identity of the unknown driver and owner of the vehicle he was driving.  Reasonable efforts include:

  • talking to all witnesses at the scene (this includes people in the neighborhood or in stores/coffee shops located close to the scene who may have seen something);
  • returning to the scene to post signs with your contact information to locate witnesses;
  • running an advertisement in the local newspapers looking for the name of the driver;
  • providing written notice of the hit and run to ICBC as soon as possible, including details of why that person is at fault for the collision; and
  • reporting the collision to the police.

The circumstances of each hit and run are different, so what is considered as “all reasonable efforts” depends on the situation.  We know that if you had a chance to record the license plate number but never did, you unfortunately have probably not made reasonable efforts and that will be fatal to your claim.  The same is true if you did get the plate number but lost it.

ICBC has no duty to explain any of this to you.

A member of our Personal Injury Team will work with you to make sure you have made reasonable efforts to find the unknown driver. Contact us today for a free consultation.

This blog is produced by Waterstone Law Group LLP. This blog is intended for information purposes only and is not offered as legal advice for a specific claim. Subscription to or use of this site does not establish a solicitor – client relationship between the user and Waterstone Law Group LLP or any of the individual contributors. For advice relating to your personal injury claim, please contact us to arrange for a free consultation.

3 Responses to “I’m the Victim of a “Hit and Run” – What Should I Do?”

  • Steven says:

    This is a great post, but I was wondering if the laws were different for Ontario than British Columbia.

    • wslawadmin says:

      Hi Steven, thank you for your comment.

      Our post, and our blog in general, relates specifically to the laws in British Columbia. We recommend you speak with a lawyer in Ontario to determine whether the laws differ in your province.

  • ConnelDavid says:

    Hi W. KIM BRISCOE…This is really very informative and helpful post regarding laws in British Columbia. Well done, nice work and keep us updating with latest law acts and rules.