My Child has been Injured in a Car Accident – What Should I Do?

It can be terrifying when your child has been injured in a collision.  Your first concerns, obviously, are for his or her well-being.  You may also be unsure of how to deal with ICBC because, as you might suspect, special rules apply to anyone under the age of 19 (a “minor”).

Although ICBC must be notified of the accident promptly, there is no obligation for your child to have a face-to-face meeting with ICBC.  There is a duty to provide ICBC with a brief written statement, but that can be prepared and sent to them, assuming the child is old enough to provide one.

The usual 2 year time limit for starting a lawsuit does not begin until the child’s 19th birthday.  It is important to note, however, that not all limitation periods are postponed because of age.  It is important to obtain legal advice soon after the collision to determine what applies in your child’s particular situation.  Sometimes you have as little as 30 days to take the first legal step.

In order to start a lawsuit on behalf of a minor, an adult must be appointed as Litigation Guardian.  This adult is responsible for instructing the lawyer and making decision on behalf of the child.  The Litigation Guardian is often a parent, but cannot be someone named as a defendant in the lawsuit.  For example, if the child’s parent was driving and is being blamed for the accident, that parent would be named as a defendant in the lawsuit, and therefore unable to act as the Litigation Guardian.  In that case, another family member or friend would need to be appointed to the role.

As you can see, there are certainly special considerations when it comes to minors.  A member of our personal injury group will be able to advise of your (and your child’s) rights and responsibilities. Contact us to arrange for a free consultation.



This blog is produced by Waterstone Law Group LLP. This blog is intended for information purposes only and is not offered as legal advice for a specific claim. Subscription to or use of this site does not establish a solicitor – client relationship between the user and Waterstone Law Group LLP or any of the individual contributors. For advice relating to your personal injury claim, please contact us to arrange for a free consultation.

One Response to “My Child has been Injured in a Car Accident – What Should I Do?”

  • ConnelDavid says:

    If you are injured in a Car Accident and get back your Insurance claims then you can contact to Accident Attorney Lawyer. They will help you to compensate your all losses.